Tooth Implant Process | The Miracle of Osseointegration
“Don’t be afraid to Smile.”
For years I’d felt like a part of me was missing — because my teeth were. My dentist told me that dental implants would make me feel and look a lot better. OK, I said. Now, I’m thrilled. I can smile, eat anything, and enjoy a good laugh with my friends. Life is great.
Call us for any questions or to make an appointment.Houston: (713) 784-4200Cypress: (832) 334-5376Katy: (281) 394-2933Request An Appointment
When is it a good time to get dental implants?
You may be surprised to hear that your jawbone is a lot like a muscle, in that it must be stimulated regularly in order to maintain its volume. Therefore, when a tooth is extracted (or falls out naturally), the jawbone begins to deteriorate almost immediately. In fact, studies show that within a year of tooth loss, there is a 25% decrease in bone width. Thankfully, dental implants in Houston, Katy, and Cypress can take the place of natural teeth to provide the stimulus needed by the jaw. If done early, this greatly reduces the need for bone grafting down the road. We encourage you to make an appointment for a consultation with one of our experienced doctors.
2. Tooth Loss
3. Healed Bone
4. Implant Placed
6. Implant Restored
How much do dental implants cost?
While the upfront cost is often more than that of alternatives such as bridges and dentures, dental implants outlast those approaches by several decades. This increased longevity makes implants the more affordable choice in the long run. For further information, visit our dental implants cost page.
THE PROCESS FOR DENTAL OR TOOTH IMPLANTS
- Consultation and Treatment Plan: During the initial phase of the dental implant process, imaging is gathered along with your medical and dental histories to give us a clear picture of your current health. We will then explore your treatment options with you to formulate a plan that ensures that both your health goals and budgetary needs are met.
- Extraction: The next step is to have the tooth in question extracted. In some cases, we may be able to place the implant at the same time of extraction. In others, bone grafting will be required prior to implant placement (see next step).
- Bone Grafting: It is fairly common for the jawbone to lack the mass needed to accept an implant. In this case, a bone graft will be performed first to strengthen the target area. Bone grafting is typically followed by several months of healing before the implant can be placed.
- Dental Implant Surgery: During the implant procedure itself, a titanium screw is inserted into your jawbone. You will be anesthetized for comfort during the surgery, which takes about 1-2 hours.
- Osseointegration: After placing the implant, we cover it with the surrounding soft tissue and let it sit for 3 months in order to fuse with the bone.
- Final Restoration: After osseointegration is complete, an abutment is placed on the implant to connect with the final crown restoration. Typically, the final restoration is done by a general dentist.
For more information, please visit our dental implant FAQs page.
At Memorial Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, we are proud to offer safe, comfortable, and affordable dental implants in Houston, Katy & Cypress to our patients with the help of cutting-edge technology and utilization of the latest techniques. Call us at our office to get started on your journey – we are here with the support, guidance, and expertise you deserve.