When is it a dental emergency?
If you are experiencing a life-threatening situation, call 911.
Is your pain severe?
Did you just experience facial trauma?
Do you have any swelling in the mouth or facial region?
If you answered YES to any of the questions above, you may have an emergency situation. Please call our office so our team can assist you at Houston Office Phone Number (713) 784-4200.
Frequently asked questions about dental emergencies
More specific emergency situations:
- Painful swelling in or around your mouth, face, or neck
- Pain from a tooth/teeth or jawbone?
- Broken or knocked out tooth/teeth from trauma
- Biopsy of abnormal tissue
Dental treatment is required prior to critical medical procedures.
Facial and dental trauma?
An injury of the tissue or bones of the face are considered trauma to your oral maxillofacial region. Please contact our office so we can assist you.
Knocked out tooth?
- Carefully pick up the tooth from the top of the crown and do not touch the roots.
- Gently rinse the tooth with water but do not scrub or touch any part of the tooth other than the crown.
- Holding the tooth by the crown, carefully put the tooth back in its socket. Then try biting down.
- If the tooth does not go back into the socket, put the tooth in a container with milk or water to keep the tooth wet.
- Seeing us within 30-60 minutes or less can save or lose a tooth.
Cracked, Broken, or Fractured tooth?
If you have severe pain from a fractured tooth, please call our office so our team can assist you.
- Gently rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Apply a cold compress to the area to minimize swelling.
Oral or Gum infection with pain or swelling?
Do you have swelling or knots on your gums or around the face or jaw? Is it difficult to swallow or do you have trouble breathing? You may have an infection and without treatment, it could be dangerous. You may have an emergency situation and should call our office.
Biopsy of abnormal tissue?
Did you receive results from an abnormal tissue biopsy? Our doctors are specialized in oral pathology and can help you with your situation. Call us to schedule your consultation at Houston Office Phone Number (713) 784-4200. Read more information about oral pathology.